Lisa J. Auer
- Family Law
- Domestic Partnerships
- Child & Spousal Support
- Premarital & Postmarital Agreements
- Child Custody
- Collaborative Divorce
- Limited Scope Representation
Lisa J. Auer has practiced family law exclusively since being admitted to the Bar. She received her B.A. from Yale University and her J.D. from UC Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall). Lisa enjoys working intensively with clients and helping find the best solutions for each client’s circumstances. Lisa understands the importance and sensitivity of the issues involved in family law matters—issues such as the custody and well-being of children, disposition of a family’s entire net worth, and determination of child and spousal support—and finds it rewarding to work in this complex and dynamic area of the law. Lisa is dedicated to providing high-quality legal services in the most timely and cost-effective manner possible and to resolving family law issues outside of court whenever possible. She enjoys working with a wide range of clients in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Before starting her own practice, Lisa was an associate at two well-respected law firms in San Francisco (Sideman & Bancroft LLP and Folger Levin & Kahn LLP), where she focused on marital and domestic partnership dissolutions involving complex financial issues such as business valuation, division of limited partnership and private equity interests, and high-earner child and spousal support.
Originally from New Hampshire, Lisa has lived in San Francisco for more than 25 years. After graduating from Yale, she worked first in health advocacy and then in publishing for several years before attending law school at UC Berkeley, Boalt Hall. During law school, she received the American Jurisprudence Award in Family Law and gained valuable experience as an extern law clerk for Judge Donald Sullivan at San Francisco Unified Family Court and as a law clerk with the San Francisco City Attorney’s Office and Bay Area Legal Aid.
An active participant in the legal community, Lisa is a member of the family law section of The Bar Association of San Francisco and The State Bar of California. She also belongs to Collaborative Practice San Francisco and the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals.
Lisa engages in a variety of volunteer activities, including mentoring other attorneys in family law issues through the Justice & Diversity Center, part of The Bar Association of San Francisco’s pro bono legal services program. She also volunteers regularly as a settlement master and attorney of the day at San Francisco Superior Court to help litigants reach agreements.
Lisa has been selected to Northern California Rising Stars by Super Lawyers magazine multiple times.
- University of California at Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, Berkeley, California
- Honors: American Jurisprudence Award in Family Law
- Yale University
- Honors: cum laude
- Super Lawyers Northern California Rising Stars 2010, 2014-2017
- 2010 and 2011 Outstanding Volunteer in Public Service Certificate, Bar Association of San Francisco
- Mentor, Justice & Diversity Center, Pro Bono Legal Services Program, Bar Association of San Francisco
- Volunteer Attorney of the Day, San Francisco Superior Court
- Volunteer Settlement Master, San Francisco Superior Court
- State Bar of California, Family Law Section
- Bar Association of San Francisco, Family Law Section
- San Francisco Collaborative Practice Group
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
Current Employment Position
- Family Law Attorney
- Sideman & Bancroft LLP, Associate
- Folger Levin & Kahn LLP, Associate
- Bay Area Legal Aid, Law Clerk
- San Francisco City Attorney's Office, Law Clerk
- Judge Donald Sullivan, San Francisco Unified Family Court, Extern Law Clerk